Well, this came in like a wrecking ball this morning when Bethesda announced Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited is coming to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on June 9th of this year. Now I know, what’s so special about a release date, that’s not the kicker in the story. ESO will be coming out with no monthly subscription fees! I know right?
So it goes like this, ESO will have a one time purchasing fee, my guess is around the same price as all the other games, and will feature ESO Plus monthly premium plan you can buy. I wanted to know more about the premium plan so I clicked on their FAQ section to see what this entitled.
The premium plan will not be pay-to-win style, meaning you will be able to complete the game without ever needing to buy a single item. The plan will give you access to future DLCs. You will be able to buy the DLC without the premium plan. Premium will also give you bonus upgrades to your character like 10% to experience bonus points gain and 10% bonus to gold acquisition.
Another feature of the premium plan is reoccurring allotment of Crowns, which will added to your account every month you are on the plan. Premium users will get 1500 crowns each month and the optional subscription comes in 30, 80 and 180-day membership. These are “virtual currency” you get with the plan and lets you buy some extra goodies like pets, mounts and more that cannot be bought with normal gold. New players of the game on June 9th will get 500 crowns to start them off and give them a taste of the plan.
While writing this article, I’ve noticed some site saying it’s Free-To-Play, this is not the case. You still need to buy the game before playing it, there’s just no more monthly subscription plans. The press release states: “If you’re new to ESO, you’ll make a one-time purchase of the game and then continue playing without restrictions for as long as you like.”
Here’s a cinematic trailer named “Confrontation” which is the last of four for the mini-series:
Other details are as follows:
- You will need PS Plus/Xbox Live subscriptions to play
- If you pre-ordered ESO last year, it will transfer to Tamriel Unlimited
- If you are on PC and have a monthly subscription, it will transfer as a premium plan. This will take in effect on March 17th
- You get all previously release DLCs and packs that were release on the PC version
- Returning player, PC version, will get the 500 crowns that new players get, but will also receive a 100 crowns for every 30-day period you subscribed to in the past
- Crowns are non-transferable and non-reimbursable
- If you stop your premium plan, you still keep all items you purchased except DLCs
- Some players will have the option to transfer their character from PC to consoles
If you would like full details, see the source links below. I am really hyped to see this come to the consoles later this year and with no monthly subscription plan? What else needs to be said. I loved Skyrim and really enjoy Elder Scrolls games and without the monthly fee, this just became really appealing to me. What do you guys think? Are you getting the game in June? is it too little too late? Tell us in the comments below!